Tuesday, May 18, 2004

More Mouse Capades
Although strangely, there's not really anything new to report.

Algernon is still winning.

Last night I decided to leave him an entire peanut butter cracker, in his trap/dinner table. Yes. The whole entire cracker. I figured maybe he'd eat the whole thing and explode. Or stay there long enough to spring the trap. (I keep saying that hoping it will one day happen, even though deep down I know that trap is never going to spring except for when I spring it, or when the cleaning guy vacuums.)

However, the entire peanut butter cracker was too big for the trap. So I reduced the serving size of the cracker to 3/4 cracker. Or in terms of bunnies, 1/2 bunny. I mashed it onto the trap, set it gingerly, and walked away.

Today, I arrived to the same amount of cracker on the trap. Algernon apparently was not in the mood for peanut butter cracker for dinner last night. Nor was he in the mood for the poison I continue to leave for him night after night. He's becoming picky, I think. Too good for my food.

So, Algernon still roams free. Unless, (and this is my hope) he ingested too much gum from the weekend's food offering, blew himself up into a mouse bubble, and exploded somewhere where I can't see him.

I'm pretty sure that's what has happened. I haven't seen him in a day or so.

But until I know for sure, I will continue to ponder the mouse situation. I've brain-stormed and contemplated what to do, and what it all really means. Perhaps Algernon isn't even real. Perhaps he is the ghost of a mouse that used to live here, and he has returned to haunt me and my office. Maybe I am supposed to befriend him, and let him be my spirit guide. Perhaps he is here to enlighten me of something, or about someone.

Or maybe he's just here so I have lots of stuff to write about to entertain you people.

Eh. Whatever.

C.T.

No comments: