Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Mmmm. . . Sandwich . . .
There is a sub shop around the corner where I go to get a sandwich on days when the food served here at the shelter is not something I can stomach. It's a Mom and Pop type place, although I don't think there is a Pop. And I'm not sure the lady who owns it is actually a Mom. Plus she is from China, so I don't know if the true essence of the term 'Mom and Pop' really applies here, or if it is a term actually used in China. Basically it's not Subway, and it's owned by a very nice lady who makes good sandwiches.

I don't go there very often, but when I do it is a big treat. I am rewarded with a wonderful sandwich, and it's cheap. It's a highlight of my week when I get to go there, but I only allow myself to go there when it is absolutely necessary. I can only have a sandwich when the option for lunch downstairs is really not an option. Otherwise I would be in the sub shop all the time, buying sandwiches left and right, defeating the purpose of having free lunches here at the shelter.

I always get the same sandwich. Every time. When I first discovered the beauty of the sub shop, I focused my attention on the chef salad. It was good, but only when I discovered the sandwich did I realize what I'd been missing. A truly great sandwich.

It's not a spectacular sandwich, or anything fancy. And that is why I like it. It sticks to the basics. I get the Ham and Cheese sub, Italian style, hold the onion and peppers, on that cool sub sandwich bread. Just thinking about it, I can almost taste it. Mmmmmm. . . . sandwich . . .

As a regular sub shop customer, I've been working very hard to fill up the Frequent Sandwich Card. Every time I buy a sandwich, I get a mark on the card. And after I buy enough sandwiches, I get a free sandwich. Seriously, the free sandwich is a huge perk for me. I have been anticipating its arrival ever since my first sandwich purchase earned the very first mark on the card.

So the last time I went to the sub shop for my usual sandwich, I pulled out my card and noticed that this was the last sandwich to fill in the card. The Final Sandwich. I had done it. I had purchased enough sandwiches to earn a free one the next time I am in need of a sandwich.

I was so excited. I felt like I needed to make a speech, thanking the Academy, and the sub shop lady, and the shelter for having enough bad lunches that I was able to venture out and discover the Sandwich. I'd also like to thank my parents for teaching me the value of a dollar, good money saving tips, and to always look for ways to get free stuff. I've built my life around how to get more for less.

The sub shop lady marked the last spot on the card and handed it back to me.

"So, the next one is free?" I asked, barely able to contain my excitement, yet trying to sound casual and cool.

"Yes," she said, and turned to the next customer. My dream had come true. All the hardwork had paid off.

A free sandwich.

So this week I am very excited about the possibility of obtaining my free sandwich. But the dilemma now is which day to venture out for my prize. If I waste a decent shelter lunch day on the free sandwich, I do get the great sandwich, but I may then have to suffer through a bad lunch here at the shelter later in the week.

But then again, I've waited this long. Today may be the day.

Mmmmm. . . . sandwich . . .

C.T.

No comments: