Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Fall TV 101 with The Tyrant
It's time now for The Tyrant's overview of the Fall Television season, beginning before we know it. Get comfy. You're in for more than you probably want to know about what I think of Fall TV.

I've been a long time fan of television, even going so far as to major in it in college. Aaah, the days of writing papers on episodes of Seinfeld and Friends. Man, college was hard. Needless to say, I was sad to see Seinfeld go, as I will be for this last season of Friends to take place. It may not be quite as funny or original as it once was, but year after year, the Friends gang has held a special place in my heart. I'm looking forward to this last season, with the hope that the last will be the best, leaving on a high note. Although hopefully not a note played by Ross on his bagpipes.

I don't take easily to new shows. I'm wary of everything new each season, because truthfully very few shows are shows I consider to be 'good', and I just don't have the time to waste on bad TV. But, two seasons ago I was introduced to Alias, and have been in love with this show ever since. If you are not a fan of this show, you should not be watching TV. In my next life I hope to come back as Sydney Bristow. And since my faith does not believe in reincarnation after death, I will have to live with attempting to be her with what's left of the life I currently have. She kicks butt, she dresses to kill, and she gets to hang out with Vaughn and Will, two dudes I would gladly take a punch for anyday. I've been waiting all summer to see what happened to Sydney during the past two years while she was missing, where last season's cliffhanger left off. My VCR is already set to tape the show each week, so that I never miss a thing on what is probably my favorite show on television right now. Alias, bring it on.

I've had to reluctantly admit that ER may be past its prime. It may have worn out its welcome. With the only original cast member of Noah Wylie left, the show just doesn't have the appeal that it once had. It's still a good show, as far as my show standards go, but it just hasn't held my attention over the last season as it once did. It will be an uphill battle for ER to win me over again, especially since during the summer reruns I discovered CSI and Without a Trace, unfortunately airing at the same time as ER, but on a different channel.

CSI has been on the air for several seasons already, and now I understand why this is such a great show. With the exception of Sarah, the former lesbian doctor from ER, I love all of the cast members. Sarah is no longer a lesbian, but she is still as annoying as ever on CSI. The other characters are each unique and engaging in their own way. Not to mention, 'Marg Helgenberger' is just really fun to say. Aside from the characters and funny actors' names, the show is great. If you can get past the blood and gore at times, be sure you are watching this show. It's cool. And its sister show, CSI: Miami, is pretty good, too. Once you get past the not liking David Caruso issue.

Without a Trace is a show I stumbled upon by accident this summer. I don't particularly like Anthony LaPaglia as an actor, but having watched the show several times now, I've decided I do really like him in his role of Jack, the stern but secretly softie FBI guy. Once I got past the stupid name for the show, I've discovered another good drama that I'd recommend for your viewing pleasure. Plus, more hot guys in suits. Not LaPaglia. The other two studly cast members.

As far as my beloved reality TV shows, I'm torn at this point in the year. There seems to be a lacking of new reality seasons this fall, but as I think about it I can't think of many reality shows that I would like to see return, with the exception of a few key shows that I dub spectacular. I really developed a liking for Cupid, which ends tonight. This show was great, funny, mean, and heart-warming all at once. I can only hope it will return for another round of finding love on national television.

Survivor begins this week, but this show also may have worn out its welcome with me. I'll watch initially, and hope that it intrigues me enough to keep watching. I did enjoy the first few seasons of the show, and while I will continue to want to be on the show, I may not be interested enough to watch it if I'm not on it.

The Bachelor premieres next week, and for this I am excited. Since my chance encounter with a former Bachelor, I've had a special loyalty to The Bachelor series, although the last Bachelor, Andrew, bored me to the point of not watching the show. But, the new Bachelor Bob is a favorite of mine from a previous season, so I will tune in and hope to fall in love with another Bachelor.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment of American Idol, whenever that is scheduled to begin. I'm not sure what it is about the show exactly, but I'm highly entertained by the whole thing. For those of you who share in the enjoyment of this show with me, you can anticipate more reviews of the upcoming season as it unfolds, week by week. Stay tuned. Til then, check out some information about the fates of last season's finalists.

Most shows that were cancelled after last season, I will not miss. But one show I will seriously and whole-heartedly miss is Buffy. No, I am not making a joke. If you did not get into Buffy, you really missed out on a smart, funny, deep, frought with meaning show. It has had a profound impact on me. I know that will be surprising to many, even more so than the fact that I am strongly attached to the show, knowing that I am not, in fact, a silly teenager. I only discovered Buffy last year, and have since been in the process of catching up on the previous six years of episodes. I hated to see it end this year, but fortunately we still have Angel. I'm even newer to Angel than to Buffy, so I look forward to checking it out this season.

Shows cancelled that I will not miss: Dawson's Creek, and well, I can't remember any more of them. They were that bad and/or insignificant to me.

Shows that came back that I wish were cancelled: Joe Millionare, Yes, Dear, Extreme Makeover, almost everything on the WB and UPN.

Phenomenon that I thought was dead, but still came back: ABC's TGIF. Fortunately without Urkel.

Shows that should have been cancelled because they got rid of all the good cast members so it will likely suck now anyway: The Practice

Shows I'm bored with but don't necessarily want to see them go away, yet: NYPD Blue, Law & Order (all of them)

Shows I don't watch and could literally care less about, yet I wonder why they are still around: Charmed, 7th Heaven, Boston Public, The Guardian

New shows that don't even sound like they could possibly be good, and will surely be gone by mid-season: Jake 2.0, I'm With Her, Happy Family, Arrested Development, Miss Match, Married to the Kellys, Tarzan, Luis, and pretty much all of the rest of the new shows.

In fact, I can't think of a single new show that I'm interested in checking out, with the exception of Tru Calling, based solely on the Eliza Dushku, formerly Faith from Buffy, factor. I fear this show on FOX was a bad decision for Faith/Eliza, as it doesn't sound like a particularly winning idea of a show. Plus it airs at the same time as Friends so I probably won't watch it until re-run season, if it lasts that long. But I have a slight interest in seeing Eliza not be Faith, much like I would have an interest in seeing Xander not be Xander, or Spike not be Spike, although they will always be Faith, Xander and Spike to me. Good thing Spike will now be on Angel.

See? You have no idea what I'm talking about. Go find some Buffy reruns.

Thus concludes Fall TV 101 with The Tyrant. Good luck and happy Fall Premier month!

C.T.

No comments: