Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Looks like they picked the wrong month to be related to the Tyrant
And the wrong month to stop sniffing glue.

In addition to my dad's hip, and my grandma's increasingly failing health, Hurricane Katrina has made the third in what will hopefully be the end of a series of rough events for my family.

I know as we all watch the news about the devastation in New Orleans, each of us are likely affected in some way by friends or family members who are displaced and without homes due to Katrina. It seems like everyone I talk to knows someone somewhere in Louisiana who is affected by this disaster.

Late this afternoon I learned that my cousin, his wife, and his two young children are now without a home. My uncle and his wife are also now without a home. They are all currently staying with family a few hours north of New Orleans.

They live in Slidell, an area hit hardest by the hurricane. I don't have much info at this point, but they are in for a long process of starting over, along with thousands of other people in similar situations.

I'm glad that they are safe. I'm glad that they have family available to help. They are some of my favorite people on the planet.

But, my heart breaks for them. I can't imagine knowing that I could never go back to the home I left. Especially with two young ones who don't understand why they can't go home, or why they don't have their toys.

One of my greatest fears is that my house would get burned up in a fire. I don't know why I have that fear, except as related to my fear of not knowing how to start my life over without anything. I can't imagine how I would be able to start over if I lost everything I have. No clothes. No stuff. No pictures of loved ones. I think that is what would kill me the most. All the things I have that hold memories, gone forever.

I was frustrated today by suddenly higher gas prices, which will only go higher over the next few days. Then I saw a story on t.v. about people driving from Louisiana to Mississippi to get gas, waiting in a line that stretched down the highway. The police were called in to keep the peace over what small amount of gas was left.

At least I can get gas here when I need it. High price is a small price to pay, considering what these people have lost.

I ask for lots of prayers tonight for my family, and for all the people affected by Katrina, as they begin trying to figure out what to do. Both sides of my family are getting hit lately with illness, surgery, loss, and now Katrina. August has not so much been a good month.

C.T.

No comments: