Thursday, September 15, 2005

Sting 'em, Bees
My church softball team is awesome. Not because we play awesomely. But because we are known this season as the Journey Bumble Bee Ninja Assassins.

Why? Well, I'll tell you.

This year we hosted a vote to name our team something. We never have a name. We are just "Journey". After careful research, I came to the conclusion that we lose so many games because we have nothing to motivate us, no "hook", no identity.

So, after compiling all the suggestions and votes, it became clear that we still had no single identity. Hence, a compilation of identities.

Journey Bumble Bee Ninja Assassins.

Awesome. And, I must say, fairly frightening in an intimidation sort of way.

Now, the question I am most commonly asked is, "Are you Bumble Bees that assassinate Ninjas, or are you Ninjas that assassinate Bumble Bees?" The answer to that is severalfold:
1. Whichever you prefer.
2. We are open to your interpretation. We cannot be contained in any one category.
3. We are whichever option is more frightening, and sneaky.
4. We are neither. We are both. We are a conversation piece.

Last night was our season opener. It was a double-header.

First game - I prefer not to talk about.

Second game - amazing.

Not only did we not let the first game's loss get us down, we rose above it to win the second game. We had a good high-attendance night for the team. We stayed in good spirits.

We were ready to bumble, and we stung 'em.

Or as Friend L said in a newly coined term I immediately love and intend to use often, we "ninja-ized" 'em.

As one-half of the coaching duo this season, I have taken a certain amount of pride in my coaching duties. I believe in taking this team to a whole new level, which (almost pathetically) we have already acheived with one win this season.

I believe in good communication. I believe in good attendance. I believe in team morale.

I believe in Bumble Bee Ninja Assassins.

Now, for those of you who may once have been a part of the team, you might read this and yearn to be part of the team spirit once again. It is exciting, no doubt.

But, not to worry. This year, the Journey Bumble Bee Ninja Assassins will host the First Ever Softball Homecoming Game and Festivities. Stay tuned for details. It's an extravaganza you won't want to miss.

Why? Well, I'll tell you.

WE WILL STING YOU.

Coach C.T.

No comments: