Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Blue Pens: A Commentary
Following is a story that bored a co-worker of mine to death today.

Yesterday, my blue pen ran out of ink. I have a history of really not liking blue pens. I've always been a fan of black ink. It is serious. It is easy to read. It is what writing should be written with. Blue ink has always seemed stupid to me. You can't take blue ink seriously. Don't even get me started on green, red, pink, or purple ink.

Hate. Them. All.

But lately at work, I've been using more blue ink. I mark proofing changes on artwork and copy, and the blue ink is easier to see. It's become essential to performing my job duties. And, I have to admit the blue ink is starting to grow on me.

I'll even go so far as to say, I don't hate blue pens anymore.

However, I am VERY picky about the type of pen I use. As someone who fancies herself a writer, the pen is an essential tool to jotting down thoughts. It must be a superb writing instrument. None of this "ballpoint pen, 25 pens to a box" nonsense. I need a Uniball Rollerball.

Lately, I've tested out the Roller Gel pens. I likey.

So, today I went to Target to buy more blue pens, to replace the pen that ran out of ink yesterday. But, as I browsed the pens looking for the perfect blue pen, I discovered that you CANNOT buy a package of just blue pens, unless you are willing to settle for the crappy 25-to-a-box ballpoint pens that dry up the second you take the cap off.

What. Is. Up?

You can buy as many good black pens as your heart desires. I saw packs of 3 and 5 black pens. But, in order to buy a blue pen, you have to buy a multi-pack that comes with one black, one red, and finally, one BLUE PEN.

I just want blue pens that don't suck!

All these years of hating blue pens, and now that I am embracing the blueness of the pen, I can't even get a package of 3 or 5 blue pens that are Uniball Rollerball, or Roller Gel.

I ended up buying a pack that had TWO black pens, one blue, one red. Which means I now have an over-abundance of black pens, a red pen that I will never use up, and a blue pen that will run out of ink before either the red or black pens, which will force this whole cycle to repeat itself a few months from now when the blue pen dies.

It's pen conspiracy.

I returned to work after buying my pens today, and I told my co-worker the story above. This co-worker accuses me of not talking enough. Those of you who know me will agree that I am not much of a talker, nor a conversationalist. She is determined to turn me into a talker. For some reason, she seems to think I am a talker waiting to happen. So, I thought, "Hey, I will tell her my pen story." This will surely convince her that I have stories to tell.

After I told her the story, she told me she now sees why I don't talk, and she asked me never to talk about pens again.

C.T.

No comments: