Sunday, September 25, 2005

I love made-for-tv movies
I can't help it.

It's been a long time since I've found a made-for-tv movie that I really enjoy. But back in the day, my mom, my sister, and I would spend many a Saturday afternoon watching some cheesy Lifetime movie. We called them B-11s, because Lifetime was on the B side of the cable box, on channel 11. We loved our B-11s.

So, imagine my excitement to find out that a tv movie had been made about Martha Stewart: Martha Behind Bars. I'm not really sure the world was waiting on the edge of their seats for a reinactment of the life of Martha in prison. But, there have been lesser reasons for made-for-tv movies. And really, the ones that we don't need are the best ones to watch.

Personally, I never really paid much attention to Martha Stewart. I'm not really a crafty/decoratey kind of person, although I do get a touch of the nesting/decorating bug every once in awhile. My mom decorates everything. Sometimes my decorating gene kicks in.

But, to make a tv movie based on Martha's time in prison?? PURE GENIUS!! Sure to win an Emmy next year.

Or at least, sure to give me something to make fun of tonight before I go to bed.

Unfortunately, I was not home tonight to catch the whole movie. And I forgot to set the VCR to tape it. But, I did make it home in time to catch a few moments from the life of Martha behind bars, as portrayed by one of Lifetime's favorite stars, Cybil Shepherd.

Here is a brief synopsis, borrowed from the CBS website:
Golden Globe Award-winning actress Cybill Shepherd stars as Martha Stewart in this movie, which chronicles the events that led to the downfall and subsequent reemergence of America's favorite domestic diva.

Stewart is ultimately indicted, leading her to stand trial alongside Baconovic. Found guilty of all charges, she is sentenced to five months at Alderson Federal Prison, nicknamed "Camp Cupcake" by the nation's media, followed by five months of house arrest. Determined to clear her good name, Stewart pursues her appeal, but asks to begin her prison sentence early in an effort to put the nightmare behind her. She begins serving her prison term on October 8, 2004.

Prison proves to be a life-altering experience for Stewart, who regularly posts messages on her personal website describing her day-to-day activities, as well as urging the government to consider national prison reforms. When the embattled domestic diva is finally released from prison to begin the house arrest portion of her sentence on March 4, 2005, the nation embraces a new Martha--thinner, more circumspect, ready to put the past behind her and start a fresh chapter in her intriguing, remarkable life.


I was able to catch a key scene in which Martha is chosen by her prison mates to lead them in a Christmas decorating contest. They think that they will surely win with Martha in charge of the decoratinos. She reluctantly shows them how to make origami swans and hang them from the ceiling. But alas, Team Martha does not win the contest, due to prison politics. They are beaten by the worst manger-scene diorama I have ever seen. The prison mates are sad, and rightly so. Martha's origami swans were awesome.

I also saw Martha whip up some apple something-or-other in an off-limits microwave. And, I saw her get in trouble for having contraband (apples, eggs, and cinammon). And finally, I saw Martha make her own Christmas cards.

Even prison can't stop decorating. Apparently.

Hands down, best performance by Cybil Shepherd as Martha Stewart in prison EVER.

The only things this movie lacked was an abusive husband, and prison mates played by fellow made-for-tv movie frequenters Melissa Gilbert and Judith Light.

Maybe in the sequel...

C.T.

No comments: