Friday, June 03, 2005

Teva
No, I did not misspell Tivo.

I've been in a money crunch lately due to some unexpected expenses. Thusly, I have put myself on hiatus from all shopping that does not involve basic necessities. And by basic I mean I buy enough food to keep me alive, gas for the Jeep, and that's about it.

But, some good blessings may have occured that may be saving me a lot of money, so yesterday I decided I could buy some shoes.

I have not purchased any clothes in awhile because essentially clothing is a luxury. Of course, some may see clothing as an essential, and I would agree to that in the sense that we cannot go through our daily busyness while naked. Although I think we would all agree that would make life a lot easier, and a lot funnier.

But the way I see it, I already have clothes. They may be old and I may not like them, but I have them. And since I have not been able to justify the expense of affording new clothes, I have put clothing in the "luxury" category for now.

However, I desperately need some wardrobe help! Oh my goodness, I hate all of my clothes...

Anyway, I decided the biggest necessity of the moment is new shoes to wear to work. Work sandals, if you will. But they have to be cheap.

I went to my favorite cheap shoestore, DSW, during lunch yesterday. I found some sandals that will do. They may even be cute. They were definitely comfortable and not ugly. For me, I'm usually cool with that. I love shoes, and I prefer funky shoes, but I'm not always the best at picking out great shoes. Especially when it comes to work-appropriate shoes. The great ones cost more than I want to spend.

I must confess that I am lately a flip-flop junkie. I love them. I used to never wear sandals or flip-flops. I hate my feet and didn't want to wish them upon the world. But one day I discovered a flip-flop that was soooo comfortable I couldn't NOT wear it all the time. In fact, it would have been cruel to my feet to deny them these wonderful flops.

So now I'm all about flip-flops and super comfortable summery shoes. And.... on my way out of the store yesterday, I happened to see a perfectly innocent pair of Teva flip-flops that were just begging to be on my feet.

Now, I realize that Teva flops are nothing new. But ever since my trip to Israel a few years ago, where I learned that Tevas are manufactured in our holy land, I've been moderately obsessed with Teva. I'm all about supporting the Lord's chosen people, especially if it involves the making of fabulous flops.

I tried on the flops. There was only one pair, on the clearance rack, and it happened to be in my size. I was pretty sure these flops were meant to be mine.

It was like heaven on my foot. Holy, Israel, made-by-God's-people, heaven.

PLUS, they were on sale. My rule is to never buy things that aren't on sale. Tevas aren't usually super cheap, so I've never considered actually buying a pair unless they were on sale. When it comes to flops, since they are basically rubber with a strap, I see no reason to pay more than $10 for a good pair of flops.

My favorite pair of flops cost me $12, and I have been wearing them for 4-ish years. Got my money's worth, and they are nowhere near destruction.

These Tevas on sale? $11.

Eh, close enough.

So yesterday, I splurged and bought two pairs of shoes, both super cheap. And I have to say, I have a new favorite pair of flops.

I wore them to work today. For casual Friday.

And even after I got home, I kept wearing them. It's almost more comfortable to wear the Tevas than it is to go barefoot.

They are the chosen flops, made by the chosen people.

It's a sin not to wear them, really.

C.T.

No comments: