Monday, June 06, 2005

Hair-cules
I'm experiencing something that is the opposite of what Samson experienced in biblical times. When his long, flowing locks of hair were cut, he lost all of his superhuman strength. His lack of hair reduced him to something lesser than what he was.

I, on the other hand, am experiencing a strange phenomenon, quite the opposite of this. Too bad the times are no longer biblical.

I got a haircut on Saturday, and through the process of this haircut quite a lot of hair was cut. It was necessary. It is hot outside. It has been hot inside my house (although thankfully, at long last today my a/c has been fixed!). And, to make hair matters worse, I'm pretty sure I was sporting the unintentional mullet again.

Hence, I had to go with the mullet-ectomy.

The hair is now a good deal shorter than it has been in a really long time. And, while it took me about a day to get used to it, I have to say I am quite enjoying it.

So, I don't know if being free from the weight of all that hair has lifted some tension from my brain or something, but I am in a much better mood than I have been in awhile. Lifting the hair has lifted my spirits, it would seem. Maybe I'm finally able to think better with less weight on my shoulders.

Whatever the real reason, I have to say that less hair is what works better for me. I went with super short hair several years ago, as a way of dealing with stress, grief, and needing to simplify. It's amazing how much it helps to not have to worry about your hair, or to have to spend time making it look good. The less hair you have, the easier it is to deal with, and sometimes life just calls for one less burden.

My hair was literally within about one-quarter inch of being a buzz cut. And, to even further rebel against the ugly face of life's traumas and pains, I dyed it blonde for a few months.


I don't know why, but it served a purpose at the time. Admittedly, "fashion forward" was not that purpose...

Now being a few years older and wiser, I've grown the hair out. It was nearly shoulder length until Saturday. And I've managed to deal with life well enough with the longer, no longer blonde hair, even having to spend about 10 minutes a day on the hair. Any more than 10 minutes and I am about ready to pull my hair out. I just don't have the patience for it. And if it requires more than 10 minutes, I am doing too much to it. Over-doing the 'do, if you will.

Simplify!

So, with my newly shorn locks of hair, I'm feeling better in general. I can't explain it.

But it was definitely time for a haircut.

C.T.

No comments: