Sunday, June 26, 2005

Ninja Documentary
Over the weekend I witness what I believe to be a ninja documentary disguised as a major Hollywood motion picture. For decades, the ninjahood has been looking for ways to infiltrate mainstream popculture to influence the movers and shakers of Hollywood. Because we all know that celebrities are the most influential people in the world.

Why? Because they are better than us.

And what is this ninja-mentary I saw? None other than..... Batman Begins.

Friend Z muttered something to me about ninjas and Batman last week. I did not understand what he was trying to tell me. It could be that he mutters in Spanish. But, once the ninja-mentary began I quickly understood that he was communicating to me that Batman is a ninja!

IT'S SO COOL!!

I loved the movie and all it had to offer. It's by far the best Bat-flick, and Christian Bale is by far the best bat-dude.

And even with all the TomKat (Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes) romance brew-ha-ha, Katie is suprisingly non-annoying in the movie, with the exception of a few Joey moments that put her right back on the Creek. Not that I didn't enjoy her on the Creek, but what happens at the Creek stays at the Creek. She is much better in Pieces of April, a film in which I developed a strong liking of her as an actress, which has since been marred by this whole Tom Cruise nonsense.

But really, the film focuses on Bruce Wayne as he wrestles with his demons and becomes our hero, Batman. There is very little Katie to contend with. He is driven by fear, which was interesting to explore. Lots of good quotes struck a chord with me, both as a ninja, and as someone who struggles with fear. We are a rare breed.

"What you fear most is your own anger."

"Look past your own pain, Bruce."

"It's not who I am underneath, it's what I do that defines me."


Such wisdom found in a movie about a dude dressed as a bat.

I highly recommend this movie. For cool ninja stuff, and for an exploration into what drives us out of tragedy, and into who we are to become in the face of what we fear most.

C.T.

No comments: