Monday, April 19, 2004

Stressful, (or perhaps just Neurotic) Decisions
I bought a new cell phone today. I've been agonizing over this decision for about a week. Why?

Because I fear change.

It all started about a month ago when my cell phone people sent me a $30 gift certificate in the mail, to be used on phone accessories or towards the purchase of a new phone. Up to that point, I was perfectly happy with my current cell phone. Sure, it's a couple of years old, a little banged up, and tends to shut off sometimes of its own free will. But, it's been a really good phone. I was very committed to sticking with my phone until it just absolutely lost the will to live any longer, which I estimated would be at least another five or 108 years or so. I like for my stuff to last.

When I bought that phone, it was free. So I'm also very committed to not buying another phone unless it is free. These two conditions (making my phone last for 108 years and not getting another new one unless it is free) have been firm rules for me to live by. I don't even talk on the phone that much, anyway. I don't need a fancy, new-fangled phone just for the heck of it.

But, with the arrival of $30 towards a phone in the mail, I began considering the idea. I should have immediately thrown it away. But instead, I put it aside and began thinking about the idea. I'm happy with my current cell phone people. I have no intentions or need to switch to another company. Maybe I should really consider the new phone and contract, if it will get me a new phone for free.....

The $30 gift certificate also came with two phone options that would make these two specific phones free, if used in conjunction with a store promotion and available rebates. The catch is that the $30 can only be used in store. Not online. Meaning, I would have to go talk to people and actually shop to use the $30. Not something I enjoy. But, for a free phone, I might make an exception.

Of course, as with any big (or little) decision, I began to do some research. I went online and looked at all the available phones and plans for my cell phone people. I figured if they are offering something for free, there might be better or other options available if I do a little digging. I was half trying to talk myself out of the new cell phone, for the sake of having to change phones and plans. But I was also half trying to justify a shiney, new, fancy phone.

For free, of course. Only for free.

After a few days of looking online, I convinced myself that it would be okay if a phone was mostly free. Not entirely free. So what if I had to pay just a little bit for an expensive phone?? It's still a good deal. And I want it to last. Might as well get a good one that won't have to be replaced as technology changes, or depending on how many times I drop it in any given day. Thus, if after all the rebates and $30 gift certificate, if I still have to pay just a bit, it's okay......

This was WAY off my "no new phone and definitely not a non-free phone" committment. I was over-thinking the situation, and talking myself into something I don't need to pay for right now. Thusly, it was turning into a stressful situation.

See, technically, I don't need a new phone. Mine works fine. Had I not been tempted with the $30, I wouldn't even be considering the idea, and I wouldn't be stressing out about the cell phone situation. In its day, it was a fancy phone. Then the next day, 108 new fancier phones were invented, and consequently since then it's been an old phone. But, it's been a good phone. Nothing wrong with it at all. Most days. And that one day I dropped it and it shut off and wouldn't come back on, and I thought I would be cut off from the world for the rest of my life since all of my phone numbers are in that phone and likely nowhere else....

But, it came back, I forgave it, and we moved on.

I continued to research the new phone situation. Unfortunately in all of my looking online, I had discovered a phone that I fell in love with, and I was determined by this point to make this situation work for me. I would have that phone, and it would be free.

The official cell phone people website were not offering the phone for free, even with rebates. So, I went to the actual store to check on the situation with my $30 gift certificate. Still not free. Close, but not free. I searched more online. There had to be a way....

Then I found it. A random website offering enough rebates and discounts so that my new phone would be.... FREE!! Could this be true? Could this be for real?? Probably not. So I checked further.

Friday, after doing some research on the website and the company, I decided all appeared to be legitimate. Days of searching and stressing had resulted in finally finding someone who offered my new phone for free.

Then, suddenly, I realized that this free phone would be the catalyst to the start of leaving my old phone behind, and embracing a new phone. This meant change! I'd have to get used to a new ring, move all of my phone numbers into the new phone, and not forget what my phone looks like when out amongst other people with phones. I was quite fond of my current blue phone. I decided I wasn't quite ready to say goodbye, yet.

I made the decision not to buy the new free phone .... until Monday. Today. Sometimes in a neurotic, over-thought situation, it's best to take a break and set it aside for awhile. I was thoroughly stressed by this new cell phone situation. I had to let it go for awhile.

So, I spent the weekend in the yard. Clearing my head, being with nature. I thought of all the fond memories of me and my phone, the good times, the bad times, the many short conversations since I don't really like to talk on the phone, and the loyalty of the phone. It's always there for me. It's a good phone. I decided I was okay keeping the phone.

But, then I received a sign. TWO signs, in fact. Within the space of an hour, last night, I was with two different people who had the same new phone that I was considering! I'd never noticed anyone with this phone before, and suddenly there were two of them. One guy had the phone for awhile and gave it a rave review. The other guy had just purchased the phone for $10, also giving it a rave review. I knew this meant I should have the phone. You just can't beat deals, or signs, like that.

This morning, I went back to the website to buy the phone. Or at least to talk myself out of it one more time. I almost hated to do it in front of my other phone.

But, I'm proud to say that I bought the phone today. And not only was it free, but an additional rebate had been added over the weekend. When it's all said and done I will have made $50 on the phone. In fact, it's a bad investment NOT to buy the phone, as I am essentially being paid to get a new phone.

I think that $50 will help me work through my fear of changing to a new phone. And when I break free from the old phone and embrace the new phone, I'll be able to capture the moment with digital technology, since the new phone has a camera.....

C.T.

No comments: