Wednesday, April 28, 2004

If you feed them....
They will come.

I'm going to need a bigger bag than the twenty pound bag. And that will definitely cost more than toppins per bag.

After the dispersing of birdfeeders with birdseed, I arrived home last night to find a yard full of birds. Not unlike the movie The Birds, in that there were lots and lots of birds in the trees and on the ground. But very unlike The Birds, in that the birds weren't not the scary black grackle kind. They were mostly tiny finches. Very cute. And not pecking at my head.

Apparently not all mass swarms of birds are evil, as the movie would have you believe.

I decided to sit outside for awhile last night and watch the birds. I noticed that all of the feeders were still intact and in place (thanks to the chain, I'm sure). It was very peaceful, tranquil, and quite enjoyable. I lounged in my chair with my glass of lemonade, in absolute awe at the display of birdness before me. As I watched, I was suddenly very excited to see a very bright and very red bird (a redbird, if you will) swoop down onto the grass beneath a feeder. Not too long after that, a beautiful blue bird (a bluejay, if you will) also swooped down into the yard. This I had not seen before in my yard. What an event! I ran inside to get my camera.

I ran inside to get my camera to take pictures of yard birds!!

At this point, I came to a startling revelation: I have turned into my grandmas.

I even tried to think for a second about where my bird book might be. With the intent of getting it and looking up the birds in my yard. Why do I even have a bird book?

My grandmas do this. All I need now is a birdbath and binoculars, and I will have crossed the threshold into the land of being seventy years old. This is the point of no return back to youth.

I almost don't care. My yard is so cool right now.

I can't help but in enjoy it, even in an old lady sort of way.

I am now Crazy Bird Lady. And I'm strangely okay with that.

C.T.

No comments: