Friday, August 15, 2003

Regenerating Paperclips
My desk has a drawer, in which my paperclips are kept. A plastic container within the drawer holds a wide variety of paper clips, from large to small, from square to triangle, from silver to colorful. I have a plethora of paperclips.

The odd thing is, I always have paperclips. I never run out of paperclips. From the first day I started working here, I would turn to the paperclip drawer for my paperclip needs. I have paperclipped many a document in the year and a half I've worked here. Yet, the supply of paperclips never seems to dwindle.

One time I went down to the supply closet to see where we keep extra paperclips, forseeing the day when I would eventually run out of paperclips and I would need to refill my container of paperclips. I made a note of the location of the extra paperclips, and have not been back since then to retrieve them. I just simply haven't run out of paperclips, yet.

For awhile I was paperclipping everything that needed to be fastened in some way, in an attempt to use up my paperclip stash. I even paperclipped things that should have been stapled. If papers needed to be fastened, they received a paperclip. Nothing else. I went through hundreds of paperclips, at a minimum. I became obsessed with the oddity of my paperclip stash. I was determined to get to the bottom of it. Yet, it never diminished.

I still cannot see the bottom of the container. There appears to be no end in sight. It's not a large container, as it's small enough to fit in my drawer, along with many other items in the same drawer. Yet every time I reach into the container for a paperclip, I never have to reach very deep, and I never have to search very long for a paperclip of appropriate stature.

Throughout the course of my scientific experiment regarding paperclips and their functionality, I have reached the conclusion that paperclips must spontaneously regenerate of their own free will.

It's the only thing that makes sense.

C.T.

No comments: