Sunday, October 23, 2005

Things I haven't blogged about lately, but should blog about before I forget
In no particular order.

1. Texas State Fair
Today is the last day of the Fair. It's a sad day. We hate to see the Fair go. I made it there twice this year. It was AWESOME. From corny dogs, to fried cheesecake, to a life-size Elvis made of butter, to watching Friend E scream bloodcurdling screams on Magnum P.I., to the Fair Gang with our Gang t-shirts, to (of course) the Super Shammy, it was a Fair to remember.



I even dreamed LAST NIGHT that I had to use the Super Shammy on my car....to get out of a life-threatening situation. SERIOUSLY. It was like a Shammy-off with another person involving something serious with our cars (it had to do with getting all of the water off of the cars in a very short amount of time, and some terribly frightening outcome to whoever did not accomplish this). And out of nowhere, I totally remember that I have the Super Shammy. I woke up just before I Shammied the whole car, but I can only assume that the Super Shammy saved my life.

2. The Amazing Race - Family Edition
I hate to admit it, because I am a diehard fan of TAR. But, this edition is super lame. It's families of four, fighting, in the United States. Why do we need to see that on TV? Don't we see that, um, all the time? NOT on TV? Plus, it's just super boring watching them drive around in Tahoes all the time. I think this week they finally leave the U.S. But, I almost don't care to watch. I'm ready for this season to be over, so we can get back to normal teams of two yelling at each other in exotic locations.

3. America's Next Top Model
Fortunately, this show is up to it's usual high standards of good model fun. Even without Janice Dickenson, I look forward to each week of model mayhem. Usually at this point in the show, I have a favorite that I want to win. But this season, that's still up in the air. The girls seem especially hateful this season. I just wish Twiggy was meaner. But the brilliance of the wisdom of Iman last week? Priceless.

As I always say, if you are not watching this show, you are missing out on something really special.

4. Lost vs. Alias
I am both really excited, and really heartbroken. Lost is awesome. And I need to re-watch season one again. But, I'm mad that only three or four weeks into the show, we now have three weeks of NO LOST. What am I supposed to do?

And, let me just say that 108? Um, this has been my favorite number for SEVERAL years. BEFORE it ever became of significance on Lost. Please note my softball shirt from at least two years ago, proudly displaying the number 108.



So, I'm not jumping to any conclusions that 108 is the single most important number in the entire world. But I am going to go ahead and say that I invented 108, and I will take credit for inspiring J.J. Abrams to use 108 as the most important number of all-encompassing importance on the show. When 108 somehow saves all of the Lost-ees, you heard it here first, my friends.

MY number.

Alias, Alias, Alias. My heart weeps for you. I want so much for this show to be as good as it was the first season. But a preggo spy running around being spyish is just painful to watch. I loves me some Sydney. But, I can't stand to see her pregnant and still doing spy stuff. I miss the old days when you could trust nothing and no one, but you could always count on Sydney to run around, being super hot, and doing clever spy stuff WITHOUT it being lame. I can only hope she has an alien baby, or maybe she births another giant red ball of liquid that turns an entire city insane, or that something happens to make the pregnancy a good plot point. Otherwise it just reminds me week after week about how much I hate Ben Affleck for getting Jennifer Garner pregnant and ruining my show.

5. Journey Bumble Bee Ninja Assassins
Last week, we had the most amazing Homecoming ever. So what if we didn't exactly win the game! We got really, really close to the big win, and had an amazing rally at the end. We had LOTS of fans. We had a fabulous awards ceremony and mumming of the Homecoming King/Queen. And more importantly, I planned an event, and people showed up, and they seemed to have a good time, and my head didn't explode. In fact, I had to plan stuff every week for the entire season. And still, my head didn't explode.

We had an amazing team this season. And, it could quite possibly be the first softball Homecoming game in the history of the world.

Plus, we are VERY pretty.

6. Scrubs
I've started watching Season One on DVD. I intended it as pure, brainless entertainment. Just looking for some silliness in my world that has gotten too serious and weighty lately. But it's actually a bit deeper than silly, at times. Go figure, I find something relate-able and meaningful when I don't want to see it. I think humor is a great way to present "real" stuff sometimes.

The frustrating part of the show, though, is that things wrap up too neatly in 30 minutes. I've gotten out of the habit of watching 30-minute TV shows, now that I don't watch many sitcoms anymore. I forgot how crisis arises and completely resolves in 30 minutes in sitcom world. In one episode, Turk has a complete crisis of faith. His whole lifetime of faith is shattered. But five minutes later, he believes again. And.... scene. I wish my own crisis of faith could wrap up so neatly and so quickly. And so funnily.

7. Cold
It finally turned cold today. I am not happy about this. I HATE being cold. And as if to super-spite me that the warmth of summer is truly gone for the next several months, I have to go to Nebraska this week.

Dude, that's just not cool.

It's cold. As a matter of fact.

Ain't no Shammy warm enough to keep from getting too cold, y'all.

C.T.

No comments: