Saturday, October 29, 2005

Seven Simple Rules
Admittedly, I am terrible at friendships and relationships. It's hard to understand how people are supposed to function together when I don't even understand people on their own most of the time.

Humans are quite baffling, in that we change. We change our minds. We change our feelings. We change our surroundings. Just when you think you are learning someone, things change. We find it hard to adapt to what changes.

But I like to think I have a few things going for me when it comes to friendships and relationships. I long for good ones. I will work hard at the good ones. I'm loyal. Once I consider you a friend, you might have a hard time unconvincing me of that. Listening, is another. I'm not a talker, which tends to make me a good listener. As cynical as I tend to be, I actually do care about people deep down.

And, I'm dependable. I will not quit or flake out on you. I'm like Chandler. Chandler's always there for you. He may show up a little late, but he'll get there eventually.

Sometimes I forget all of that, and I suck when it comes to friends. I get selfish, which pretty much ruins all of the good things I had to offer before I succumbed to all things selfish. But generally, I think I've got some of the bases covered in a world of people that make no sense.

I try to keep it simple. I don't require much from my friends. But here are the basics of what I try to stick to, all of equal importance:

1. Always be honest with me.
I don't want to be friends with who you aren't. I want to be friends with who you are. Even if it's not who I thought you were.

2. Laugh at me.
We have nothing in common if you don't find me funny.

3. Make me laugh.
Sometimes I need you to be the entertainer. And, I heal best when I am laughing most.

4. If I'm being an idiot, tell me.
Or maybe I should say "when" I'm being an idiot. Because I will be. In like, 10 minutes.

5. If you are being an idiot, let me tell you.
If you can call me on my crap, I get to call you on yours. And I love you enough to tell you before someone else points it out to everyone else.

6. Let me borrow your stuff, and dress me.
I have the fashion sense of a toothpick, all of your clothes are cooler than mine, and all of your stuff is better than mine.

7. Otherwise, be there for me when it matters.
I need you on the other end of the phone when I am brave enough to call. Stick up for me when no one else does. Or, see Rule #4.

Seems simple, right? I think if it was that easy, people wouldn't leave. The friends we thought were our best friends once upon a time would still be our best friends now.

Or maybe all we should really expect is #2 and #6, and the rest is too much to ask.

C.T.

No comments: