Sunday, October 02, 2005

There is still hope for the traditional family unit
Found this on wfaa.com this week. So many jokes, so little time....

Couples turn out for 'Marry Your Baby Daddy Day'
06:37 AM CDT on Friday, September 30, 2005
Associated Press

NEW YORK - Ten couples tied the knot in a group wedding billed as "Marry Your Baby Daddy Day."

Each of the couples who married at the House of the Lord Church had been living together for years and had children together.

"The older I get, I see getting married as the way to go," said Garfield James, 34, who married Millicent Ellis, 35. "I want to raise my kids the right way."

The ceremony was organized by Maryann Reid, author of the book "Marry Your Baby Daddy," who said she was dismayed by what she said were too many single-parent families within the black community.

"Single parenthood is very much accepted as the norm and being married is looked at as unusual," she said. Thursday's ceremony "gives me hope that our future generations can possibly see this and break the cycle of broken homes."


You can buy Maryann Reid's book on Amazon. And no, I am not making this up.



C.T.

No comments: