Monday, May 22, 2006

This post came to me while at church
Sometimes I blog in my head. But that doesn't mean I'm not listening. Make of it what you will.

I've realized that being labeled a "Christian" doesn't necessarily make us better to our fellow human beings than those who might not consider themselves "Christian". We still hurt those around us. We are still hurt by those around us. To quote Eric tonight, we are imperfect people loving each other imperfectly.

I struggle sometimes. I want to hold "Christians" to a higher standard. We don't get to treat people that way. Jesus told us not to. Is that fair? We preach what is good and right and love. Yet we still fail people in what is good and right and love.

I leave church, and I still yell at people who cut me off on my drive home. That is neither good nor right nor love.

We don't know all the answers. We don't do everything right by each other. We don't even know what we mean, or even all agree upon what is good and right and love.

But we have to forgive others who have hurt us. And we have to forgive ourselves for hurting others.

Regardless.

C.T.

No comments: