Tuesday, July 25, 2006

On Music
Since I've had the Macbook, I've been introduced to the world of music downloading and iTunes. With Windows 98 on the old PC, that did not allow for much music downloading. Now it's like a whole new world has opened up to me. I'm a kid with a new toy.

So, I've been downloading a lot of music lately. Most of it is stuff from my past that I once listened to, probably never owned, but it strikes a chord with me today. Some of it is new stuff. All of it makes me dance a little bit on the couch or in my chair, wherever I happen to be as I download and listen.

I've learned a few things about music, and about myself in this process.

1. I don't know the words to any songs. Don't get me wrong, I know songs. I recognize songs. I just can't sing along. I will try. And I know the basics, the words that stand out and that everyone knows. But I don't listen to music for the words. Some songs, yeah the words hit me upside the head. They are beautiful and meaningful. Or they are funny and ridiculous. Either way, genius. But mostly, I listen to music for mood. For ambience. For a soundtrack to whatever I'm doing at the moment. I hear the notes and the beats and the transitions before I ever hear any of the words of a song. And I love it that way. I feel it. I'm too busy listening to the drums to pay attention to the words, but I still get a lot out of it.

2. To amend #1, I know ALL of the words to SOME songs. These are the songs I belt out in the car, and it seems that most of these songs are Kelly Clarkson.

3. I have no taste in music, and my preferences run the spectrum of a variety of musical types, styles, genres, whatever. I kinda like a little bit of everything. Except country. I won't go there. But tonight's downloads included Metallica, Allison Krause, Belinda Carlisle, Melissa Etheridge, and Survivor. I love it all. It doesn't have to make any sense or fit together. One song reminds me of another song, and it's a new fun game for me.

4. My other new favorite thing to do is to plug the Macbook into the speakers in my office at home, set iTunes to random play, then walk away. I only have about 23 hours worth of music right now, but that's still a pretty wide selection that provides no repeats during one session, and enough variety to where I'm always entertained. Genius.

And that is the Tyrant on music for today.

C.T.

No comments: