Monday, July 24, 2006

I think jobs are weird
That's just my take on it.

I've been thinking a lot about work lately. I'm not complaining. I'm happy enough at my job. I could make more money, but I'm okay with what I have. I did just get a bit of a raise, so that's nice. I have lots to do. They treat me okay. I like the people I work with. I don't dread going to work everyday. And I get to wear jeans on Fridays.

All in all, I've had much worse jobs. MUCH worse. I've got it pretty good right now.

But I just think jobs are weird. I think it's strange that our employers have the upper hand, yet they are completely dependent on us minions to do what we do, and do it well.

And in all honesty, I place more value on my time than what my employer places as value on it. I think I should get paid a lot more for the 40-plus hours a week I work. But the funny part of it is, our employers get our best hours of the day, almost everyday, and THEY get to tell US how much that is worth.

And the list goes on:

You get to tell me WHEN to show up, and WHEN I can go home.
You get to tell me what I can and can't wear.
You tell me when I can eat.
I have to ask permission to take days off, or to go to the doctor if I'm sick.
And the days off are by no means in proportion to the number of days worked.
I can't talk to my friends or family while am work for great lengths of time.
I see you more than I see my family or friends, yet they get my time for free and that is where I'd rather be.

Truthfully, I am very lucky and I have a lot of flexibility in my job. And sure, I get paid. In return for getting paid, I put numbers into spreadsheets, I read documents, I type emails, I make phone calls, I have meetings. This is the work I do. This is what is valuable to my employer.

I just with that I could wear jeans everyday and take a nap at 2:00 if I want to.

THAT is what is valuable to me.

C.T.

No comments: