Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sometimes I don't know what to do with a good thing

I won a $25 iTunes gift card a few weeks ago. I never win anything. It's pretty exciting for me. But, it's controlling my life.

Whenever I come into free money or giftcards or the like, it suddenly becomes the decision of a lifetime to figure out how to spend it. It becomes the most important decision I will ever make.

It took me a week to finally make one purchase on the card. That was about a month ago.

I don't want to waste any of it.
I don't want to buy something stupid that I will later regret.
I don't want to buy something embarrassing so that later when people ask, "hey, what did you buy with your giftcard," I'm not embarrassed to tell them without making something up that is much cooler than what I really bought.

When I won the giftcard, it was a pretty sweet moment. Who doesn't want to win an iTunes gift card? Of all of the giftcards in the world, iTunes is right up there with the best giftcard you can buy someone.

On the other hand, iTunes is tough. There are now too many options. Songs, movies, TV shows, ipod games, audiobooks.... AAHH!!

Ok, seriously I would never buy a book to listen to. I just can't fathom sitting and listening to someone read a whole book to me and retaining anything about the book. But I did look at audiobooks to buy with my giftcard. Because I wanted to explore ALL of the options....

So far, I have downloaded a movie: Under the Tuscan Sun. I love this movie because of the romantic notion of running off to Tuscany, fixing up a villa, and writing. Of course, I have a villa here in Texas and plenty of time to write now. So, running off to Tuscany isn't really necessary. For now, I will be content to watch someone else run off to Tuscany on my laptop when I travel on planes.

Anyway, I can't figure out how to spend the remaining $13.12 on the giftcard.

Most normal people would probably just say, "hey, it's money I didn't have 10 minutes ago, so it doesn't matter what I buy." And they would make a decision on something fun, or something they've wanted for awhile, or whatever. Me? I feel like I owe it to the giftcard to make sure it is spent on the best possible combination of items that will make me happy, fulfilled, and not feel guilty for abusing free funds.

I could buy songs, but nothing really interests me at the moment. I check every week to see what's new, and nothing has made the cut as worthy of The Card.
I could buy another movie, but nothing really interests me at the moment. At least nothing that I want living on my laptop forever.
I could buy episodes of Scrubs to have with me on plane trips, which TOTALLY interests me at the moment..... but I can't decide on which episodes to buy.

I want all of the episodes of Scrubs. All. Of. Them.

I'm stressed out.

C.T.

No comments: