Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Don't worry. I have everything under control.

I'm in the beginning days of 10 days of being in charge of the dogs while my parents are on vacation.

Don't worry. Everything is under control with the sneaky little rugrats.

I spent the first night with them at my folks's house. All was well.

Yesterday, I went to check on them after work and I discovered that they have figured out how to jump on top of their bed that is in their doggie nook in the house. This is a critical discovery for them because it puts them literally just a few inches away from being able to jump over their gate . . . which afford them the freedom to run willy nilly about the house all the live long day, unsupervised.

Very, very dangerous.

See, this is the first time they've been mostly on their own during the day. It's definitely the first time they've had no supervision at night. And they are not used to having their bed in their nook with them. They usually sleep in the room with me when I'm in charge. Having their bed in the nook allows them to have all the comforts of home, plus the freedom to go in and out of their doggie door all the livelong day.

Tonight, I arrived at the house to find them still in their caged area. But, as soon as I walked in the door they got excited and jumped up on their bed.

Then two seconds later, they pretty much stumbled out into the kitchen. First Daisy, who chased me down the hall. Then Duke, who is never one to be left alone for very long, although he's usually too scared to try anything first.

They both tackled me in the bathroom and they were quite pleased with themselves at having found the way into the house.

Of course, I think they are surprised by the whole thing. They were so excited that I was there, they just stumbled onto the bed and into the house trying to follow me.

BUT, this is bad. I still have quite a few days where I need them to be secluded in their caged fortress. However, now that they have essentially tunneled out, I have no idea what I will find when I get over there tomorrow.

With my luck, and with all the rain we've had so far this week, I figure my days are numbered before I find that they have run rampant all day through the house, painting muddy-pawed artwork all over the floor, walls, furniture . . .

I will have to come up with a clever plan to outsmart them and keep them confined. But I fear they are too crafty for the likes of me.

Parents, if you are reading, don't worry.

Everything is under control.

C.T.

No comments: