Thursday, January 11, 2007

I love hotels
I just do.

I'm currently in Florida, sitting in my hotel room, and I love it. Sadly, I'm here on business and not here for fun. Although... I keep telling my bosses that I'm on spring break. They just look at me funny when I say that.

But I think 8 hours of straight meetings, a working lunch, a working dinner, then the past two hours of working through emails from the office that I missed all day proves that I am very much NOT on spring break. I can't even concentrate on Grey's Anatomy. I'm working.

Of course, right now I'm blogging. And then I'm done for the night.

But back to hotels. I just really like them. Forget all the disgusting things about them. I've seen all the Dateline specials about germs all over the bed, in the bathroom, on the remote control, yada yada. You just can't think about that stuff when you're in a decent hotel. I consider it when I'm in a less-than-nice hotel. But in nicer hotels, you just have to pretend that you are the first person to ever stay in this room, and nothing has ever been touched by human hands until you arrived in the room.

It's not even the novelty of my own room, my own bathroom, my own space, or seclusion for a day or so. I have all of that at home.

It's that I have TWO beds right now. Why? I don't know. I didn't ask for two beds. But here's one, and right over there? It's another one. I am using one for sleeping and one for my closet. I don't want to take the time to actually hang things up to get the wrinkles out. My bed-closet is working just fine.

I've got a big bathroom with a lot of counter space. This is super fun for me. My bathrooms at home, while I do have TWO bathrooms that are good and nice, neither of them exactly have superfluous counter space. I love that in hotel rooms I can open my toiletries bag and dump all of it out, leave my flat iron on the counter, along with the hairdryer, a towel, and the coffee pot - all at the same time - and I still have room to function.

I can change the temperature in the room, up and down, all night long if I want to (although I don't want to do that - I pretty much just want to sleep all night long) and I don't have to worry about my electric bill.

I don't have to clean anything or straighten anything, yet when I come back after a long day at work, my bed is made and the bathroom is clean. Plus I can use a brand new towel every time I get myself wet in any way. I have four bath towels, but there is only one of me and I am only here for two nights. That's a lot of towel for a small person such as myself. In fact, I could make a complete towel outfit to wear in my room for the rest of the night, and still have enough towels leftover for my shower in the morning.

My question is, what is up with hotel room alarm clocks? Does anyone on the planet know how to set one of those things? I spent ten minutes on it last night before I finally figured it out. I used my cellphone alarm as a back-up, of course. I usually do the wake-up call, but when I checked into my room last night at 11:00, I witnessed the night frontdesk guy take a call from someone requesting a wake-up call, and his performance in programming the phone to call the guest did not convince me that I should trust him with waking me up this morning. So I chose the room alarm clock and my cellphone.

But I just don't understand why they have the most complicated alarm clocks in the world in every hotel room in the world. It's like they come from a special Hotel Alarm Clock Factory that can only produce complicated alarm clocks for the hotel industry.

I'm sure there are more random things that I enjoy about hotel rooms, but I'm pretty tired. I'm going to pick a bed and go to sleep now.

C.T.

No comments: