Friday, May 27, 2005

Repair Dudes
I'm at my house again, waiting for repair dudes to show up and check out my:

1. Plumbing (the pipes underneath my house, you sick people)
2. My a/c.

The pipes have a hole and a leak. I'm going for a second opinion before I start selling organs to pay for the repair work.

The a/c just isn't cooling like it should. I'm hoping I don't need to buy a new one. I don't have enough organs to spare to afford colder air AND repaired house pipes.

The other day as I went through the phone book looking for more companies to call for these repair jobs, it was a daunting task to find what may or may not be good companies. The phone book is full of large ads, mixed with tiny listings, all of which offer the same basic services for a variety of costs.

Two of the a/c places I called actually charge $19.95 just to show up at your door. That's before doing anything. Then they charge another $59.95 just to look at the a/c, still without actually doing anything to it. Essentially this means that just to say hi to one of their repair guys will cost me $80. I can say hi to my friends for free all the time, and get the same good "hands-off" a/c service offered by these companies who charge $80 just to be near my a/c.

Sheesh.

And no, friends of mine, I am not paying any of you $80 to come stare at my a/c.

I decided on the a/c company with the word "Admiral" in the title. I thought that sounded reputable enough. I expect someone in an admiral's uniform to show up at my door any minute now. Complete with some a/c armed forces in a tank of some sort, to overhaul the a/c in some sort of military-type manner.

And of course for the plumbing estimate, I chose the small ad with the Jesus fish on it. They bill themselves as the company with integrity.

I mean really, how can you go wrong with the company with the Jesus fish right on the ad??

I feel it is an answer to prayer.

If he shows up with a Bible in hand and gives me a tract on his way out the door, that would be awesome.

C.T.

No comments: