Friday, May 28, 2004

Woodland Creatures
It seems the woodland creatures are finally making peace in my yard. With the exception of the cat that continues to dig and poo wherever it feels my yard needs some digging or pooing. So thoughtful....

But the birds seem happy, feasting on the birdseed I continue to provide for them. They cost more to feed than what I spend on my own food, but as luck would have it this week, I found a 25 POUND BAG of birdseed at Wal-mart for cheap. This far surpasses the value of the 20 pound bag I found at Target. My birds will be fed from Wal-mart from now on. And they are on a one-feeding per week ration.

I will fill the feeders only once a week. It's up to them to make it last.

The squirrels, too, seem happy in the yard. I have two small squirrels who continue to explore the trees and feeders and general yard-ed goodness. They are fun to watch. They seem comfortable and at home in their surroundings. Clearly they have not heard the news of the last squirrel who failed to survive my homestead.

Earlier this week I sat outside to read and I notice a lot of rustling around in the tree limbs overhead. I looked up and saw one of the small squirrels running down the length of a limb with a twig of leaves in his mouth. I saw him do this several times and finally figured out that he was building a nest.

I watched him for awhile. I don't know why this was so entertaining and peaceful to me, but it was. He was working very hard. Several times, he almost tumbled out of the tree while trying to carry a much-too-large twig in his mouth and run at the same time. It was quite funny. He was on a mission.

The ground below was littered with twigs he had dropped in his busy nest-building. He would run way out on a limb, choose the perfect twig, chew it off, and then try to carry the twig back to his nest spot. He'd work in the twig until he got it just right, then go for another twig.

I got up to wander over to the tree so I could better see the nest. But apparently, the squirrel would have none of this. He stopped directly overhead, stood very still, and twitched his tail at me in a very ferocious manner.

Then, he barked.

But it was more like a little chirp, being a young squirrel. I've heard squirrels bark before, and it's really funny. This little guy? Sooo funny. He was defending his pile of leaves, I guess really thinking I would climb up there and steal his nest. He twitched and chirped with great fervor. And amusing intimidation.

I left him alone and went back to my book. He continued his nest building.

The next day I was outside again, reading. I heard him again, running around the tree and dragging twigs along behind him. But this time I noticed he was taking the twigs to a different place. He was depositing them higher up in the tree. Yes, this squirrel was building another nest.

Two nests??? Is this really necessary? Is one a summer home, the other a.... well, second summer home??

I mean, make yourself at home by all means. But really, isn't that a bit much to take over two branches in the tree and build two nests? Was something wrong with the first nest? Not a good location? Drafty? Termites? Bad plumbing?

Who knows.

I figure he probably decided to relocate once I had 'discovered' his lair, being certain I would never see it way up there in the tree. Despite all of his noisy nest building.

I got closer to the tree to look at this one, too. And we had another stare down. He stopped his busy-ness and twitched his tail at me from directly overhead. This time with no barking. I guess he realized I am old and have no intention of climbing my tree to get to his nest. All I needed this time was a good twitchin' and a starin'.

Squirrels are funny. Just so long as they stay outside of my house.

C.T.

No comments: