Friday, May 07, 2004

Just when I was beginning to get comfortable.....
He's back.

I haven't seen him, but I've seen that I haven't seen him. That's worse than seeing him.

I had convinced myself that Algernon the Office Mouse had packed up and moved to another residence, somewhere other than my office. A sunnier location. Perhaps a beach house, or maybe a wintery getaway somewhere north, away from the Texas heat. Someplace where mice go when they know they are no longer welcome here.

I've gradually begun to relax in the office a bit more, settling back all the way in my chair. Putting my feet back on the floor instead of keeping them up in the chair with me, away from mouse traffic. Sitting close enough to my desk (where Algernon tends to enjoy the occasional romp over papers and desk objects) that I can actually reach my computer keyboard without pulling a muscle in my back. I even stopped looking for him 108 times a day, which was necessary for my plan to keep an eye on him so that I know where he is at all times. I've trimmed that number down to no more than ......... 50 times a day.

People, it's still necessary to always be aware. Safety first.

But, this morning I came in and noticed that the cracker is once again gone from the trap, and yet the trap is mouseless. It seems Algernon returned during the night, ate the cracker off of the trap again, and managed to not get himself trapped in the trap yet again.

Now, my question is that can we really call this thing a mouse trap if it COMPLETELY FAILS TO TRAP A MOUSE?? MORE. THAN. ONCE!!!

Seems to me, it's just a fancy dinner table. The perfect height to serve many meals to a hungry, and don't forget - evil - mouse.

Maybe if I don't put anything else in the trap, he will starve to death over the weekend, and just kind of fall onto the trap, rendering himself "trapped".

One can only hope.

Until then, I'm keeping my feet off the floor.

C.T.

No comments: