Thursday, December 18, 2003

Highlights
You know, it's not often that there are any highlights from my job. But every once in awhile, I almost get to go home feeling good about something I did that day.

It was such a rewarding feeling to hear yesterday that the website I completely redesigned (from scratch) for my place of employment was discovered by a company that was so impressed by it, they decided to throw us a party and give us lots of money. I was told they stumbled upon the site and were so pleased with the site itself, they decided to collect money from their employees and make a Christmas contribution.

I felt really good about that. Especially pertaining to the website, which took months of meetings with my boss to get permission to overhaul it, then several weeks to build. Once my boss gave me the go-ahead on it, he was impatient for me to finish it. It took awhile, as I was the only one working on it. But after some hardwork, it was launched and met with positive response. It was a milestone as my first major completed project here.

And, it was a joy to hear yesterday that finally, something I've done around here has paid off. This is a rare occassion.

Of course, that feeling was completely shot to hell when the news of the site's success was immediately followed by the news that my boss told this company (that was so impressed by my work and gave us money because of it) that someone else did the site.

This makes perfect sense since the website falls under my jurisdiction anyway, and I'm pretty sure my boss knows that since he just bought me a book on how to improve our fundraising efforts via email and the website. Not to mention, I have a 'staff' of zero people plus one contract person who helped with some of the graphics on the site for about a week. With so many people involved in the site, I can see where it might be confusing. It turns out the contract person who doesn't even work here and who my boss met once is who got the credit this time. Wha-huh??

Of course, in the end it doesn't matter who did the site. We still get the money from this company regardless, and that's the important thing.

But sometimes I wonder if my boss has ever met me, or has a clue what I do around here, or remembers conversations and major events longer than five minutes.

I've worked here for almost two years.

And still, I wonder.

C.T.

No comments: